Especially dogs with snub-noses are also inclined to overheat and then develop breathing difficulties, which is often compounded by a desire to obsessively fetch that ball until the point of collapse!
So we have put together a few tips to keep your dog cool this summer:
- Provide multiple stainless steel water bowls in shady areas rather than plastic bowls and change at least once daily.
- Use an elevated dog bed such as a trampoline bed.
- Provide a fan (one that can’t be knocked over, and with a cord that is protected from chewing if your dog is so inclined!).
- Avoid walks during 10-4pm, on really hot days walk at dawn and dusk.
- Never leave your dog in the car, even for 5 minutes, the temperature inside a car can increase rapidly to fatal temperatures.
- Freeze some 2L water bottles, wrap them in a tea towel and place them near pet resting areas.
- Allow your dog to dig a hole to lie in if the garden can stand it.