The Maltese has a square body, but, like other toy breeds, they are fragile, so you need to take extra care. He is a very delicate dog, with a long and silky coat. Grooming can be a little difficult because you need to cut off their hair regularly. For an easier maintenance, you can clip his coat. However, it is important to know that their coat needs a special attention. The Maltese is not a suitable outdoor dog, and if you are searching for a backyard dog, you should reconsider. If you want to buy a Maltese puppy, we recommend you to choose a responsible breeder, such as Nor Cal Pups – one of the largest dog breeders from California.
The main advantages of having a Maltese dog
If you are searching for a cute lap dog, the Maltese can be the right choice for you, so let’s see which are the main advantages of having a Maltese dog:
- The Maltese sheds very little, so, from this point of view, they are perfect for allergy suffers.
- They are very polite with other animals, but they also can be a little aggressive with larger dogs.
- The Maltese has a cute face, he is very loving and has a lot of energy
- They are known for the fact that they are one of the most intelligent dog breeds.
The main disadvantages
Before choosing a Maltese puppy, you must be aware also of the main disadvantages:
- This toy breed, like other lap dogs, are very fragile and they can be easily injured or killed. So, if you have a Maltese, you must be very careful not to step on him or to hurt him unintentionally.
- Grooming can be drudgery, due to their long and silky coat. They need regular brushing and combing.
- Although the Maltese is an intelligent dog, he is having big problem with housebreaking, so you will need a lot of patience in order to train him properly.
- If you can’t spend too much time with your Maltese, it is better to think twice before buy it. Maltese doesn’t do well when left alone, they tend to bark a lot and they can be affected by separation anxiety.